Waterfalls are some of the most awe-inspiring natural wonders that can be found on our planet. The sheer power and beauty of these cascading streams of water have drawn visitors from all corners of the world to witness their majesty. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world that are worth adding to your travel bucket list.
Most Beautiful Waterfalls in the World
- Angel Falls, Venezuela Located in Canaima National Park, Angel Falls is the highest uninterrupted waterfall in the world, with a height of 979 meters (3,212 feet). The falls are named after American aviator Jimmie Angel, who was the first person to fly over them in 1933. To get to Angel Falls, visitors must embark on a multi-day trek through the jungle or take a flight from Ciudad Bolivar to Canaima.
- Niagara Falls, Canada/USA Niagara Falls is one of the most famous waterfalls in the world, located on the border of Ontario, Canada, and New York, USA. The falls consist of three separate waterfalls – Horseshoe Falls, American Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls – and collectively they are the most powerful waterfall in North America. Visitors can enjoy views of the falls from the Canadian or American side, take a boat tour, or even go behind the falls on a guided tour.
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil Located on the border of Argentina and Brazil, Iguazu Falls is a collection of over 270 beautiful waterfalls that stretch for nearly 3 kilometers (1.8 miles). The falls are part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and are surrounded by lush rainforest, making for a truly breathtaking natural setting. Visitors can take a boat tour or walk along a series of catwalks for incredible views of the falls from various angles.
- Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe/Zambia Victoria Falls, also known as Mosi-oa-Tunya (the smoke that thunders), is one of the largest beautiful waterfalls in the world, with a width of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile) and a height of 108 meters (354 feet). The falls are located on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia and are part of the Zambezi River. Visitors can take a helicopter tour for aerial views of the falls or walk across the famous Victoria Falls Bridge for a unique perspective.
- Plitvice Lakes Waterfall, Croatia Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia is home to a series of stunning cascading beautiful waterfalls that flow into 16 interconnected lakes. The waterfalls are surrounded by dense forests and offer a unique opportunity to explore a stunning natural landscape. Visitors can hike along the various trails, take a boat tour, or even go swimming in some of the lakes.
- Yosemite Falls, USA Yosemite Falls is the tallest waterfall in North America, with a total height of 739 meters (2,425 feet). The falls are located in Yosemite National Park in California and are made up of three separate falls – Upper Yosemite Fall, Middle Cascades, and Lower Yosemite Fall. Visitors can enjoy views of the falls from various hiking trails or take a guided tour to learn about the history and geology of the area.
- Kaieteur Falls, Guyana Kaieteur Falls is one of the most powerful beautiful waterfalls in the world, with an average flow rate of 663 cubic meters per second (23,400 cubic feet per second). The falls are located in the Amazon rainforest of Guyana and are nearly five times taller than Niagara Falls. Visitors can reach the falls by plane or helicopter and enjoy views of the falls from various viewpoints.
- Seljalandsfoss, Iceland Seljalandsfoss is one of the most popular beautiful waterfalls in Iceland, known for its unique feature of allowing visitors to walk behind the waterfall. The falls are located on the south coast of Iceland and are fed by the melting waters of the Eyjafjallajökull glacier. Visitors can hike along a trail that leads behind the falls for a unique perspective and stunning views.
- Sutherland Falls, New Zealand Located in Fiordland National Park in New Zealand, Sutherland Falls is one of the tallest waterfalls in the world, with a height of 580 meters (1,903 feet). The falls are fed by the waters of Lake Quill and are surrounded by dramatic mountain scenery. Visitors can take a scenic helicopter or hiking tour for stunning views of the falls and surrounding landscape.
- Huangguoshu Waterfall, China Located in Guizhou province, Huangguoshu Waterfall is one of the largest waterfalls in China, with a width of 101 meters (331 feet) and a height of 77.8 meters (255 feet). The falls are part of a scenic area that includes several other waterfalls and natural attractions, such as underground caves and karst formations. Visitors can take a cable car or hike to the falls for incredible views and photo opportunities.
- Gullfoss, Iceland Gullfoss, or “Golden Falls,” is one of the most iconic beautiful waterfalls in Iceland, known for its golden hues during the summer months. The falls are located on the Hvítá River and drop 32 meters (105 feet) in two stages. Visitors can enjoy views of the falls from several viewpoints or take a guided tour to learn about the geology and history of the area.
- Kai Falls, Japan Kai Falls, also known as Kegon Falls, is one of the most famous beautiful waterfalls in Japan, located in Nikko National Park. The falls drop 97 meters (318 feet) into Lake Chuzenji and are surrounded by lush forests and dramatic mountain scenery. Visitors can take a cable car or hike to the falls for stunning views and photo opportunities.
- Detian Falls, China/Vietnam Detian Falls, also known as Ban Gioc Falls, is a stunning waterfall located on the border of China and Vietnam. The falls drop a total of 30 meters (98 feet) and are surrounded by lush forests and dramatic limestone cliffs. Visitors can enjoy views of the falls from several viewpoints on both sides of the border.
- Skogafoss, Iceland Skogafoss is one of the most popular waterfalls in Iceland, known for its impressive width of 25 meters (82 feet) and a drop of 60 meters (197 feet). The falls are located on the Skoga River and are surrounded by lush greenery and dramatic mountain scenery. Visitors can hike to the top of the falls for stunning views and photo opportunities.
Waterfalls offer some of the most stunning natural beauty that our planet has to offer. From the towering heights of Angel Falls to the unique features of Seljalandsfoss, each waterfall on this list offers something special for visitors to enjoy. So, add these breathtaking waterfalls to your travel bucket list and witness the sheer power and beauty of these natural wonders.
Keywords: waterfalls, travel, Angel Falls, Niagara Falls, Iguazu Falls, Victoria Falls, Plitvice Lakes, Yosemite Falls, Kaieteur Falls, Seljalandsfoss, Sutherland Falls, Huangguoshu Waterfall, Gullfoss, Kai Falls, Detian Falls, Skogaf, beautiful waterfalls, most beautiful waterfalls, list of most beautiful waterfalls, top beautiful waterfalls
Check out our Novel Writing Workbooks
Check out Little Tree Food Forest for articles on food forests and homesteading.
Check out FoodieScapes for articles on growing, fermenting and preserving food
Check out StoryScapes.World for articles on writing.